|85 Brat - 5 Speed change over|
|Written by SKA Bob|
|Wednesday, 22 October 2008 15:07|
Ok, we knew this day was coming. The trans finally went bad. The 4 speed trans that these cars came with were bad design and tend to have problems similar to mine. They would often strip out 3rd or reverse or get jammed and had very weak syncros and tended to grind when shifting. True it still lasted about 23 years but did only have about 138,000 miles. So after months of gear grinding and getting stuck in 4th from time to time it finally jammed in 3rd for good. So time for a new and better trans. At least using 4 low I was able to get going, then shift back to high. I only was a mile from my shop atleast and made it back.
Theres a few write-ups on for this so heres is some quick info I can add to putting a EA82 5 speed in an EA81 car.
The 5 speeds from the EA82 engines use a totally different linkage system, they dont have the slop of the 4 speeds and the syncros are much better, with no gear grinding when shifting. A very good upgrade option rather than finding a junk yard 4 speed that may or may not last for 6 months.
Used from original trans or car:
clutch cable(fit just fine on the 5 speed)
Parts used from EA82 car:
Total time about 3-4 days working on it a few hours a day. Next time would be about a day less or more, now I know what I need to make / change.
First thing, the EA82 flywheels uses bigger bolts but luckly Subaru kept the bolt patern with the same centers distances. Some people say it's fine just to use the smaller bolts and not worry about the overisze hole but I thought a centered fit would be better and have less chance of working loose. You can find a very thin sleeve but what I found worked well is to wrap a heli-coil on the bolt, then very lightly grind it down until you get a nice fit into the bolt holes.
Next thing, the flywheel just hits the corners of the bellhousing, youneed to grind off just a bit to clear the ring gear.
Now you can put on your new or used clutch set and bolt up the trans. Now you need to make some mounts. I cut the original mount, welded them to a steel plate and drilled the plate to fit the trans. The EA82 mounts are better but sit at about a 45 degree angle and would take alot more work to fit.
Then it should bolt up to the orignal cross member
Next problem you will have is the shifter mount just hangs in space. You will need to cut a small plate & bolt it to the shfter base and to the car body.
Now, unless you have a 1 piece driveline made, you need to made a center driveline mount. I took 2 pieces of steel bar and bolted it up. I also put a small steel plate to put the bolts though on the topside of the floor to give the mount some more strength.
Next problem to overcome is your exhaust hanger will not line up with the mount. I used part of the EA82 trans mount and welded it to the exhaust pipe and there you go, instant hanger.
Now you have gone that far, why not make a sport shifter. First cut out about 2" from the middle of the shifter, then cut off the bracket and move it up about 1" and weld it back on. Now it has a short firm shift.
Then you might have to trim off the bottom of your console for the EA82 center console to fit under it. But then it pretty much bolts in and there you go.
Only issue I had was after a few days I had a rattling from someplace. Turned out a mount on the side of the trans was hitting the body. Just had to get a bar in there and tap the body up a bit with a hammer.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 20 November 2008 16:14|